Los Angeles Times

Emergency cellphone alerts didn't go out until after mudslides began in Montecito

LOS ANGELES - Santa Barbara County officials chose not to send an emergency alert to cellphones warning of mudslides until destructive flooding had already begun in Montecito, officials said Wednesday.

The message, similar to an Amber Alert for abducted children, was sent about 3:50 a.m. Tuesday to all registered cellphones in areas that were under voluntary and mandatory evacuations because of heavy rains that threatened mudflows in the wake of the Thomas fire, officials said.

You're reading a preview, sign up to read more.

More from Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Times3 min read
Yes, BET Got Its Groove Back. Now It's Time For The Show To Tell A Different Story
LOS ANGELES - The BET Awards and its branded festival, BETX, have often told contrasting stories. Yes, both share BET's mission to celebrate the present and future of contemporary R&B and hip-hop. However, the network's weekend of festival offerings
Los Angeles Times5 min readPolitics
China Presses Trump To Compromise On Trade War Demands Ahead Of Key Meeting
BEIJING - Chinese officials on Monday demanded compromise from the Trump administration, with hopes for an end to a bruising trade war resting on a key meeting this week with China's Xi Jinping. China's vice minister of commerce, Wang Shouwen, told j
Los Angeles Times8 min readPolitics
Treat Workers As Employees? Uber, Lyft And Others Are Scrambling For A Compromise
Faced with a looming threat to their way of doing business, Uber, Lyft and other major on-demand companies are trying something they've historically been reluctant to do: seeking compromise. Anxious to preserve the freelance work arrangements upon wh