Discover millions of ebooks, audiobooks, and so much more with a free trial

Only $11.99/month after trial. Cancel anytime.

Thread and Gone
Thread and Gone
Thread and Gone
Audiobook6 hours

Thread and Gone

Written by Lea Wait

Narrated by Christina Delaine

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

3.5/5

()

About this audiobook

Angie Curtis and her fellow Mainely Needlepointers know how to enjoy their holidays. But nothing grabs their attention like tying up loose threads. So when Mary Clough drops in on the group's Fourth of July supper with a question about an antique needlepoint she's discovered in her family attic, Angie and her ravelers are happy to look into the matter.

Angie's best guess is that the mystery piece may have been stitched by Mary, Queen of Scots, famous not just for losing her head, but also for her needlepointing. If Angie's right, the piece would be extremely valuable. For safekeeping, Angie turns the piece over to her family lawyer, who places it in a safe in her office. But when the lawyer is found dead with the safe open and ransacked, the real mystery begins . . .
LanguageEnglish
Release dateJun 19, 2018
ISBN9781977385161
Author

Lea Wait

Lea Wait made her mystery debut with Shadows at the Fair, which was nominated for an Agatha Award for Best First Novel. Shadows on the Ivy, the third novel in her acclaimed series featuring Maggie Summer, is forthcoming in hardcover from Scribner. Lea comes from a long line of antiques dealers, and has owned an antique print business for more than twenty-five years. The single adoptive mother of four Asian girls who are now grown, she lives in Edgecomb, Maine. In addition to the Antique Print mysteries, Lea Wait writes historical fiction for young readers. Her first children's book, Stopping to Home, was named a Notable Book for Children in 2001 by Smithsonian magazine. Visit her website at LeaWait.com.

Related to Thread and Gone

Titles in the series (9)

View More

Related audiobooks

Mystery For You

View More

Related articles

Reviews for Thread and Gone

Rating: 3.716216162162162 out of 5 stars
3.5/5

37 ratings9 reviews

What did you think?

Tap to rate

Review must be at least 10 words

• Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
    4/5
    I read the previous Mainely Needlepoint Mysteries and was very happy to see this addition to the series. Angie is settling into her life back in her hometown. Her Gram has married the Rev. Tom and they are off on their honeymoon. A young woman brings an old needlepoint piece to Angie to value. Placing it in the safe of a local attorney, the attorney is killed and the needlepoint stolen before she and her friends get a chance to research the piece. Angie doesn't want to investigate the murder, but she does want to get the needlepoint back and the two are connected. A good cozy mystery.
    4/5
    While Gram and Reverend Tom are off on their honeymoon, Angie is contacted by a young woman about an old piece of needlepoint that she found in her attic. Investigation leads to suspecting that it has a connection to either Mary Queen of Scots or Marie Antoinette or both.Angie entrusts the piece to her lawyer who is later found murdered and the needlepoint gone. Feeling responsible for the lost of something with a questionable value, Angie sets out to recover the missing piece and at the same time the murderer.I love the setting and the characters and the background and historical information kept his reader glued to the pages.Certainly hope there will be another soon.
  • Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
    3/5
    This one was great. Mary was an interesting addition - it would've been cool if she joined the Mainely Needlepoint for extra money. I didn't like Rob and frankly would've wished she dumped him but you can't usually tell young people anything - especially a young girl in love. I'm finding this series is getting better as it goes. The only thing I wasn't too fond of was the whole Patrick thing with Sarah - I was confused - I don't get why he is calling Sarah and not Angie when he barely spoke to Sarah?. I liked the code in the needlepoint - especially because I got it straight away! And there were a few twists and turns I didn't see coming. Overall great mystery and likable characters.
    4/5
    Eighteen-year-old Mary Clough is cleaning out her ancestral home. She discovers an old piece of needlepoint and brings it to Angie at Mainely Needlepoint for evaluation. She plans to marry officer Ethan Trask's younger brother Rob. Rob hopes the needlepoint is valuable so he can buy a boat. Angie suggests storing it in the attorney's safe until the mystery around it resolved. It isn't long until the attorney is murdered and her jewels and Mary's needlepoint piece are both gone. When one of the Mainely Needlepointers examines it, she feels some of the motifs resemble things done by Mary, Queen of Scots. She knows the provenance of the piece is important and suggests getting a museum needlework expert to evaluate it. In the meantime, Angie works with Mary to try to establish a provenance for the piece while trying to find the piece of needlework. Angie seems to be a smart cozy sleuth in that she tries to make sure there will be a police presence around in case of a problem. I'm enjoying this series, and I look forward to the next installment.
  • Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
    5/5
    Lea Wait is my go-to author for highly intelligent, well-constructed cozy mysteries. Her intricately woven plots are so impressive that I often forget that I’m reading a cozy. I can always look forward to acquiring new and interesting facts when I read her books. There’s usually some historical facts that factor into the mystery, and I always come away feeling wiser about fascinating subjects I wasn’t previously familiar with. In Thread and Gone, I received a lesson in who Mary Queen of Scots was, and how needlepoint was a major part of her life. I also learned about Marie Antoinette and several other facts that made me think of how much research went into preparing this mystery for the reader’s enjoyment. Lea Wait is a heavyweight in this genre. If you enjoy a solid mystery, but without the profanity and gratuitous violence present in some traditional mysteries, I highly recommend that you try Lea Wait’s Mainely Needlepoint series. You will NOT be disappointed.
    5/5
    I am really enjoying this series. Who would have thought that an old piece of needlepoint would carry a story and have such an interesting twist to it. I loved this book!Protagonist Angie Curtis and her group of Mainely Needlepointers are a great cast of characters. They rung their business in the small town of Haven Harbor, Maine where they seem to be having their share of bad luck. In this story a young girl and her fiance bring Angie a piece of extremely old needlepoint has possible ties to Marie Antoinette or Mary Queen of Scots. There is also a letter found with the piece that is written in french. We find out that there is a long line of Mary's in this young girl's family as well as the historical ones and the attendents to Mary Stuart who were also named Mary. Who was the letter written to, and who wrote it? Wait also highlights a connection between Maine and France as well as including author's inclusion of quotes at the beginning of each chapter gives a real sense of the history of needlepoint.That is one mystery but of course there is also a murder or two that may or may not be tied together. When the needlepoint piece is stolen, Angie gets in her investigator mode to try and find it as well as help solve the murders. Some of those on the suspect list are locals living in a poor area dependent on tourism. Lobstermen owing money, young people who want out all add to the mystery and the reality of the area.This book grabbed my interest in the first chapter and kept me reading right up until the end. I did not figure out the murderer until just before it was revealed in the book, that always makes it much more interesting.I would definitely recommend this book to any cozy mystery lovers as well as those who enjoy learning about history in a fun way and those that enjoy antiques. There is a lot of interesting information imparted in a entertaining way. I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
    4/5
    THREAD AND GONE is the 3rd title in the Mainely Needlepoint series by Lea Wait.I quite enjoyed the ‘sense of place’ in this book and the down-to-earth characters. The mystery held my interest and the plot was evenly paced. The premise of the story - that a small piece of needlepoint (sewn by Mary, Queen of Scots or one of her ladies in waiting) could have been discovered in a Maine attic is not overly fanciful. The Maine coast abounded with sea captains and ocean voyages. There was quite a ‘privateer’ history as well. There is a strong link between the two Marys - Mary, Queen of Scots and the French queen, Marie Antoinette - and they were known for their needlework. I found these tie-ins very interesting.I wish the ending wasn’t so abrupt. There is no follow-up - the future of Mary Clough? the emotional upheavals of the families involved? what happened to the needlework? I want to know more details.
  • Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
    3/5
    Thread and Gone by Lea Wait is the third book the Mainely Needlepoint series. Mary Clough has found a beautiful old needlepoint piece in a leather case while cleaning out her family’s attic (to get the house ready to sell). Mary (eighteen) and her fiancé, Rob has brought it to Angie Curtis and the Mainely Needlepoint group to have it appraised. They all agree to let local attorney, Lenore Pendleton hold the piece in her safe while it is being researched. The piece looks quite old and is in the style of Mary, Queen of Scots. Unfortunately, Lenore is murdered and her safe is cleaned out (it contained jewelry as well as Mary Clough’s needlepoint piece). Who knew about the needlepoint and why did they steal it? Angie is trying to adjust to living alone. Her grandmother, Charlotte is on her honeymoon with Reverend Tom. Angie is very happy for her Gram, but she misses her companionship. Angie is keeping herself busy looking for Mary’s missing needlepoint.I found Thread and Gone to be very predictable. I kept hoping for a great twist at the end (I thought of a great alternate killer), but I was disappointed. I just wish the culprit had not been so obvious. Thread and Gone is easy to read and picks up where the last book ended. I missed the interactions with Angie's grandmother, Charlotte and the rest of the needlepointing group. I did like the history of Mary, Queen of Scots and Marie Antoinette (and their needlework). I give Thread and Gone 3 out of 5 stars. I just thought Thread and Gone was lacking. It was not as enjoyable as the first two books in the series. It also had a different feel. Alcohol seemed to be a big feature in Thread and Gone. They seemed to be consuming alcohol all the time especially Angie. Beer and wine were mentioned so frequently (it was just odd and unnecessary). There is also a lot of internal dialogue with Angie thinking about the case (and other things) instead of interacting with other people. I hope the next book in the Mainely Needlepoint series will be better (like the first two books in the series). Thread and Gone can be read without having enjoyed the first two books in the series. I received a complimentary copy of Thread and Gone from NetGalley and Kensington in exchange for an honest review.
    5/5
    I discovered two brand-new cozy mystery series in 2015 that I absolutely love, and Lea Wait's Mainely Needlepoint series is one of them. Wait has a knack for combining strong characters and intriguing plots filled with fascinating historical tidbits, and I find it irresistible.In Thread and Gone, one piece of extremely old needlepoint has possible ties to Marie Antoinette, Mary Queen of Scots, and all of the Scottish queen's attendants who were also named Mary. (It's not as confusing as it sounds.) Wait also highlights a connection between Maine and France that I'd forgotten, and I appreciated the memory jog. In addition, the author's inclusion of quotes at the beginning of each chapter gives a real sense of the history of needlepoint.So many of those on the suspect list are locals living in a poor area dependent on tourism. Times are hard. Money is scarce. Wait does an excellent job of showing us people who are tired of working endless hours to barely make ends meet, and she does it in a subtle way to root us firmly in the setting. (It also makes it more difficult to pinpoint the killer!)As always, Wait's characters shine. Level-headed, smart Angie Curtis previously worked for a detective agency, and this makes her one of the best amateur sleuths around. This time she's not aided by her grandmother, who's on her honeymoon in Canada. I did miss her, but the elderly Ruth filled in very well. One of the Mainely Needlepointers, Ruth is crippled by arthritis and helps Angie with online research. The fact that Ruth also writes and publishes erotica adds a little spice to a character too many would dismiss simply as a crippled old woman.i think you can see by now why I enjoy this series so much. There are three books in the series so far, and I've read all three this year-- something that I very, very seldom ever do. All I can say is bring on number four!